Tuesday, August 10, 2010

HIIT and 5k Worries


Forgive me bloggers for I have sinned. It has been 19 days since my last blog post.

I have to tell ya's. I don't know how you all do it. Most of you blog everyday and a very good portion of the time it's very interesting stuff. I on the other hand, can't seem to come up with read worthy stuff on a consistent basis (at least about health/weight loss). I think I have pigeon holed myself into this health blog category. I have a bunch on my mind as of late, but only a little portion of it has to do with me going to the gym or eating this and not eating that. I think I may need to start another blog to release some of the pressure on my brain.

Anyway...back to this health stuff. I have added some HIIT (high Intensity Interval Training) to my workouts and so far I think I like it. Don't get me wrong, it kicks my ass in a major way, but I feel really good after it. I do it on Monday's, Wednesday's and Friday's after my weight routine and it looks like this:

Warmup = 5 mins (getting heart rate to about 60%-70% max BPM)
Sprint for 30 seconds
Rest for 1 min (by rest I mean slow jog or fast walk)
Repeat this cycle for 8 intervals.
(Right now I have my sprinting up to 8mph and my rest at 3mph. Not bad for a fat guy I think :p)

Now, I could not do 8 intervals right from the start. In fact, I still can't but I am working my way up. I started at 4 intervals and now I am at 6. The goal here is to get your heart rate as close to max as possible. The first sprint, will be easy as your heart is just warming up. By sprint 4 it really starts to hit you. So by the time you are at sprints 5-8 your heart rate is not dropping as fast during your rests and it tends to stay way up into cardio level.

It's called Peak 8 training and you can get more info here from Dr. Mercola.

There are also a lot of other HIIT programs out there and they all follow the same principal. Keep your heart rate high for a specific period of time. Keep in mind though to work up to the high levels. Seriously...this stuff kicks your ass in a very short period of time.

So, now on to this 5k stuff. I am not sure I'm progressing as planned. As a big guy this running long distance stuff is really giving my legs a pounding. I am not giving up on my training by any means, I will complete this 5k. I just don't think I am going to finish in my goal time of 40 minutes. I realize walking will be involved in this, but I really didn't want to do too much of it. As it looks right now though, I think walking might be the large majority. I can usually keep a good pace at 5mph-5.5mph but for only about 2 to 3 minutes. By that time my legs are killing me. My calves feel tight and my quads start to burn a bit. After that, it takes me about 5 minutes or so for my legs to stop hurting and then I can muster up some jogging for about a min or 2 before my legs start hurting again. My legs feel much better when I run at faster speeds (longer strides I think help) but my stamina keeps me from doing that for any long period of time.

So far my fastest 5k is 49:20

I'm not sure I will be running anymore 5k's after this one. I really just wanted one under my belt to say I did it. I do however think I will stick to some sort of sprinting routine. There's something about it that makes me feel really good after doing it that i just don't get from trying the long distance thing. I'm also going to take up biking as well (just bought one off a friend) and when I lose weight I will start swimming again.I just don't think long distance running is in my blood.

 Here is the bike I just bought off my friend. It is no pro mountain bike, but it will do the trick I believe.

So, what do you all think? Should I start another blog for stuff not related to fitness/health? this just doesn't seem the place for all the other stuff that goes through my head. Also, do any of you do any kind of HIIT training? If so I would love to know what you do.




10 comments:

  1. When I first started my weight loss journey, I did the HIIT. Sprint for 30 rest for a certain period of time. That really works but it got old really fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, that's how I feel about running long distance right now. It's getting boring to me. The sprinting makes me feel great right now. I'll let ya know how I feel about it in a month LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hiit (well love in what it does loathe in how hard it is for me :)).

    and dont question the 5K.

    you can you can you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miz,

    Thanks for chiming in. I have not been doing HIIT long enough for me to see any decent results yet (well physically), but I am hoping to start seeing it soon. I do love it so far, but you are right in that it's hard. It really kicks my ass. It seems like the longest few minutes of my life when I am doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My trainer has me doing something similar to this only less intervals and more time being active with 30s - 1 min of rest between. Running isn't for everyone, I love it. I am terrified of bikes so I run and swim. I think we all have to find our exercise love in order to stick with it!

    As for a separate blog, it's up to you but I think it sounds like more work! I have one blog and plan to include all snippets of my life in one place. I'm a lazy fat chick and I know it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brigitte,

    I read today that running on a treadmill with no incline is bad for your legs. Tomorrow I will try a slight incline and see if that helps. AS for sprinting..so far I love it. I love to swim also, but not really into being half naked in a pool right now with my weight issues :p.

    As far as the separate blog goes, you are right. It is a bunch of work to keep two blogs going. I think I might just add what I want to this one. After all it's mine and I will do what I want LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't imagine keeping two blogs going, but yet, I see some who do so. Who says this blog just has to be for health, and can't also be for some other topic or hobby, say underwater ice-skating?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patrick,

    That's funny, I was just going to come up with a underwater ice-skating post. LOL

    Thanks for stopping by man. Also, you are right and I have dropped the second blog idea. Too much to keep track of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vinny, I've wrestled with some of those things too. When I first started running I couldn't run for more than 30 seconds at a time without stopping. I hated how I felt because my legs hurt and I would get so out of breath. I kept at it though and after four months, I was able to run a mile without stopping to walk. It wasn't until I could that, that I realized how much I actually enjoyed running. It had to grow on me...and it might grow on you too. Then again, it might not. We all have to find the things that we like and enjoy and that is right for us. I HATE biking, but that might be the perfect sport for you! :) If you do start another blog, be sure to let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Josie,

    I'm not sure running will ever grow on me. Then again, I can't run a mile straight yet, so maybe there is time :p. I do like the sprinting I have been doing though. I feel a big high after it.

    Oh and I have decided, no other blog for me. lol

    ReplyDelete